Re: Generic Property-Value Proposal for Schema.org

Dear Francois-Paul:
On 01 May 2014, at 19:24, Francois-Paul Servant <francoispaulservant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thad,
>
> not sure to fully understand you here.
> > does propertyID always infer the idea of a Kind or Type ?
> I'd say that if propertyID is the URI of a property, then the "idea of a Kind or Type" you mention would be the range of the property in question.

No, propertyID can be

a) a prefixed string, mainly meant to standards for product properties, like eClass;
b) a site-specific, non-prefixed string (e.g. the primary key of the property, the vendor-specific id of the property. For instance, in some Volkswagen systems, the property "upholstery" has the ID "4", see http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/vocabularies/vvo/ns#Upholstery.
c) a URI or URL indicating the type of the property.

So c) can be a URI of a class in a proper Linked Open Data Vocabulary, but it could also be the fragment URI of an entry in a car maker's glossary page.

I do not want to revive the discussion whether using URIs of "pages" as proxies for entities in the context of schema.org is good or bad, but I think this should be allowed.

Martin