Re: Generic Property-Value Proposal for Schema.org

I am generally supportive of the proposal, as it is emerging, as a way of introducing enriched descriptions of resources from already available structure/properties before [if ever] they could be introduced into the Schema.org<http://Schema.org> vocabulary.

Although I understand the conservative approach of only initially applying it to a sub-set of Types (e.g.. Product), I believe that we would soon wish that we had done it fully (on Thing) as we are hit with a flurry of requests to usefully add it to CreativeWork, MedicalEntity, Organization, Person, etc.

So as I say I am generally in favour, howeverI feel it could also be a bit of a double edged sword.

Currently, without the ability to add generic properties, in a defined but broadly ad hoc way, proposers have to convince this group of the benefits of new properties.  They also need to gain consensus as to their naming, domain and range so as not to cause confusion, misunderstanding and problems for others.  This adds some rigour to our decisions, at the expense of some inertia, but with hopefully benefits as to the generic benefit of many groups sharing the same vocabulary.

I fear with the adoption of this proposal, it will be all to easy for groups to add [their domain specific] generic properties to their descriptions to solve localised problems.  From my experience with the SchemaBibEx group, I can think of some occasions where we would have added some generic properties, if we had the option, and missed some of the broader benefits to Schema that I believe flow from from some of our proposals.

At its extreme this could replace the cacophony of multiple vocabulary choices (to which Schema is becoming an effective antidote) with one of generic property types/values from well known and/or obscure sources.  Pragmatically, generic solutions have limits for delivering consistency across disparate domains before starting to constrain innovation.  Maybe the need behind this proposal is a heads up we are nearing that.

So in summary:
Proposal +1
Product only -0.5

Plus a warning to folks not to run beyond the initial intention and use it as an easy way of bypassing the effort need for beneficial enhancement of the Schema vocabulary itself.

~Richard

On 2 May 2014, at 12:30, Aaron Bradley <aaranged@gmail.com<mailto:aaranged@gmail.com>> wrote:

> Could we use the existing extension mechanism instead of inventing a new one?

It's long been acknowledged that the existing extension mechanism is problematic, so I  think of this less as an additional extension mechanism than potentially a more workable replacement for the existing extension mechanism.

Way back in January 2012 [1] Dan had this to say:

> Firstly, we've had feedback over last few months that expresses
skepticism about the "/"-based extension mechanism and the extent to
which it's useful to emphasize it.

I don't think this state of affairs has changed over the past two and a half years.  And in fact, I can't recall seeing a single extension deployed that actually conforms to the originally prescribed pattern (can anyone provide an example?).

So I think using the existing extension mechanism is a non-starter, because IMO the existing extension itself has proved to be a non-starter.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2012Jan/0002.html - This is just one of many discussions that have taken place surrounding schema.org<http://schema.org/>'s extension mechanism.  Cf. http://bit.ly/1kwzXcf

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Jason Douglas <jasondouglas@google.com<mailto:jasondouglas@google.com>> wrote:
Could we use the existing extension mechanism instead of inventing a new one?  Something like add productSpecification that expects QuantitativeValue and then extend it.  So:

{
  @type: Product
  productSpecification/screenSize : {
    value: 46
    unitCode: "CMT"
  }
}

On Fri May 02 2014 at 9:30:08 AM, Kevin Polley <kevin.polley@mutualadvantage.co.uk<mailto:kevin.polley@mutualadvantage.co.uk>> wrote:
As an early adopter and webmaster myself I would also like to see this
very useful proposal move forward.

Following the various threads of Martin's proposal has been interesting
and informative. From my perspective, the benefits of having available a
generic extension mechanism for properties that helps to overcome current
limitations is very appealing and I can already feel the potential
frustration that Aaron describes should property-value pairs only become
available for Product.

In part this frustration echoes that of some decision makers who discover
they are unable to expose facts about aspects of their business and their
products or services that they have identified as important to them and
their customers. From my seat I see property/value pairs as providing
solutions, opportunities and benefits that can be improved later once the
uptake and usage is quantified.

best,

Kevin