Re: Generic Property-Value Proposal for Schema.org

I like the direction of this proposal very much:  in general this has the
potential to extend the potential expressiveness of schema.org a leap
forward with a single step.  A few points on what's been said so far.

As Holger Knublauch said I believe we should not mix up a discussion about
a data model with the current set of syntaxes, and like Martin I think it's
important this work with microdata.  Forcing webmasters who want to avail
themselves of this mechanism that have otherwise cast their lot with
microdata to mix-and-match with RDFa or JSON-LD is an onerous adoption
killer, and heaping on syntaxes will certainly ensure an increase in code
errors.

While the genesis of this idea was product description, I see no reason
whatsoever why this should be restricted to Product, Place or any other
specific type.  Thad, I believe you first brought this up:  was there
something in the Freebase experience informs your opinion on this?  Or a
reason from your end Jason?

It seems to be that one of the chief benefits of a generic property
declaration mechanism is that its, well, generic.  If this were to roll
out, webmasters (myself included) will immediately find themselves lacking
in a very useful property, see a means of adding it, but be frustrated in
the attempt by the limitation on applicable types.  And the ready
extensibility provided by this makes it conducive to the generation of
useful extensions, necessarily lost in the revised proposal limiting
additionalProperty's use (literally crossed out).  Given the usefulness of
this, what's the compelling argument to limit its use?

Justin Boyan
>Can you give some examples of how this style of data could be used by a
search engine or aggregator to drive interesting features? It seems like
it's pushing too much work to the consumer side. Every different
website/producer will come up with their own different terminology for the
same attributes, which sort of defeats the purpose of a common vocabulary.

My only misgiving is along these lines - that by providing for the ad hoc
addition of new properties, we're diminishing the value of
*shared*vocabulary that multiple data consumers understand.  But I
think valuable
extensions will end up being broad understood and/or incorporated into the
core.  And more to the point, data consumers and publishers are already
extending schema.org with new properties on a regular basis, as with
Google's financialQuote properties or OCLC's exampleOfWork.  Which I think
is fine, but are such ad hoc methods of adding properties preferable to
using this proposed method of exposing property/value pairs?

Jay Myers
>I'm encouraged to see this proposal move forward -- we have used similar
techniques on our RDF/ SPARQL platform to expose deep attribute sets, with
excellent results that enable discovery and exploration of long tail
products. I can provide further details if people are interested. I would
imagine that enabling the same functionality in schema.org would open up
many possibilities to enrich product search and discovery through the
search engines.

Great to have your input Jay, and yes, I'd love to see further details!