Re: How to avoid that collections "break" relationships

From: Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 22:59:48 +0200
Cc: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>, W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
> In actuality, defining things like owl:sameAs is indeed extending RDF.  Defining things in terms of OWL connectives also goes beyond RDF. This is different from introducing domain predicates like foaf:friends.   (Yes, it is sometimes a bit hard to figure out which side of the line one is on.)

Thanks for clarifying, and this is indeed where we disagree.
For me, such a line does not exist, nor was it ever defined.
And even if there were, I don't see the need to draw it.

RDF is the framework, the interpretation is semantics.
All predicates have meaning associated with them,
none has “more” meaning than the other;
maybe some usually allow to infer more triples,
but that doesn't change the framework at all.

Cheers,

Ruben