RE: How to avoid that collections "break" relationships

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:49 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> Let's see if I have this right.
>
> You are encountering a situation where thenumber of people Markus knows
> is too big (somehow).  The proposed solution is to move this information
> to a separate location. I don't see how this helps in reducing the size
> of the information, which was the initial problem.

Cynical as usual :-) Let's just assume that the vast majority of the clients aren't interested in Markus' friends but just in information about him. Thus, they shouldn't have to process megabytes of friend relationships that they are to be ignoring anyway. Those few clients that are interested in those relationships, however, need a mechanism to find them.

I'm still wondering what schema:url is actually for and how it relates to Microdata's itemid, RDFa's resource and JSON-LD's @id... but that's a separate discussion.

> <.../markus> schema:knows <.../friendi1>
> <.../markus> schema:knows <.../friendimi>
> Then on .../markus you have
> <.../markus> schema:url <.../markus1>
> <.../markus> schema:url <.../markusn>
> (Maybe schema:sameAs is a better relationshipto use here, but they both
> should work.)

Yeah, this would of course work, but it doesn't tell the client at all why it should follow schema:url links to /markus{n}. The same is more or less true abut schema:sameAs.

--
Markus Lanthaler
@markuslanthaler

Linked Data Platform: http://www.w3.org/TR/ldp/