Re: ActionHandlers vs "App resources" (was: An updated draft of the schema.org/Action proposal)

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Markus Lanthaler
<markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>wrote:

> On Thursday, March 06, 2014 4:38 PM, Sam Goto wrote:
> > >
> > > OK, so, e.g., you have a Movie (the abstract thing) which points via
> > > the "url" property to a representation thereof in an Android app.
> > > Right?
> >
> > Right.
>
> So a thing might have multiple urls? Right?
>
> Generally, I have to say that I find the "url" property confusing. It is
> defined as "URL of the item" (http://schema.org/url). Typically, in
> JSON-LD you would just use @id for that. Do you have an explanation of when
> to use what and what it means if both are there?
>

> > We are considering using AppUrl instead of Deeplink. Does that sound
> > more descriptive?
>
> Yes, it does. It still feels a bit odd though as you type the thing, not
> just the string "android-app://com.netflix/movies/12345". The thing isn't a
> "resource locator" but a "resource".

Yep, we reached the same conclusion
here<http://schema-drafts.appspot.com/ResourceOperation?draft=http://sgo.to/rows/draft6.txt>.
See this example [1]. The interesting exception are HTTP web apis, which
have the same scheme as human-readable web pages. Our best take on this so
far is creating a new property attached to Thing, called Thing.apiUrl [2].

A couple of other simplifications that we are exploring: (a) make operation
take a Class too for subclasses of Action - such that the simple use cases
for webpage deeplinks remain as simple as possible -, and (b) exploring
PropertyRequirement<http://schema-drafts.appspot.com/PropertyRequirement?draft=http://sgo.to/rows/draft6.txt>that
is an alternative to SupportedClass (which I know you dislike, but we
are trying to simplify as much as possible).

[1]

   1. <script type="application/ld+json">
   2. {
   3.   "@context": "http://schema.org",
   4.   "@type": "MusicRecording",
   5.   "url": "android-app://com.spotify/album/74fjslPVQH60ns7vRlv3tW",
   6.   "operation": "ListenAction"
   7. }
   8. </script>

[2]