Re: Schema.org v1.6 release candidate: Roles, various fixes, site navigation improvements

On 6/18/14 3:26 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 18 June 2014 14:15, Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl> wrote:
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> As you know already, I like very much that there's a license property. It
>> will be very useful for us at Europeana!
>>
>> My colleague Robina however spotted that the value expected for
>> http://www.schema.org/license is  CreativeWork, URL
>> And the doc says "A license document that applies to this content, typically
>> indicated by URL."
>>
>> Does this include *real* licenses URIs like
>> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
>> ?
>
> Like in the last example in http://schema.org/WebPage ? :)
>
> (I realise readers don't know what is in each example 'tab' until they
> look... maybe we could improve that)

Yes, precisely as in that example!
Sorry I had not thought of looking at this WebPage to find an example.
I'm not put back by the tabs, btw.

>> I know this touches on a debate on 'real things vs URLs' that has surfaced
>> on the list quite a lot. I'm aware schema.org has actually quite a
>> permissive stance about this, and don't want to resurrect the debate - if
>> just because the word "license" itself may refer to the higher-level a set
>> of requests/permissions, or the document that records it.
>> I just wanted to check that it was alright to use CC license URIs directly
>> with schema:license!
>
> CC is a great use of this property. Schema.org doesn't attempt to
> model in detail what those documents say or mean, but the property
> gives a place to go read to find out more. This might be particularly
> useful for famous urls like CC licenses.

Yes. Note again that I'm not asking schema.org to model them in more detail (at least not in this iteration ;-) ). Just checking it was alright to use them as objects of schema:license!

Cheers,

Antoine