Re: Music schema proposal

Hello Vicki,

On Fri, 2014-06-13 at 13:58 -0400, Vicki Tardif Holland wrote:
> Sites like www.musicbrainz.org provide a wealth of information about
> music artists and recordings, but the sparseness of music-related
> schema.org schema limits the ability for these sites to fully describe
> their data. The following proposal for new music-related properties
> and types was developed through collaboration with the MusicBrainz
> project and partially inspired by the MusicBrainz and Music Ontology
> schemas.
>

> Some work remains to synchronize with the proposal out of the Bib
> Extend Community group. In the meantime, please see the attached PDF
> or the test build pages:
> http://sdo-music.appspot.com/MusicComposition

> http://sdo-music.appspot.com/MusicGroup

> http://sdo-music.appspot.com/MusicAlbum

> http://sdo-music.appspot.com/MusicRecording

> http://sdo-music.appspot.com/StudioAlbum

> http://sdo-music.appspot.com/AlbumRelease

Many thanks for that Vicki - the current schema.org support for music is
very sparse, and this proposed extension is a significant improvement. I
sent a mapping to Music Ontology terms to Dan last week [1], which
highlighted a couple of small things (consistent capitalisation for
individuals vs classes, mediums vs formats vs release types, some terms
with little documentation, mainly).

Another thing is that I think schema.org is missing some way to relate a
musical work to an event to a recording that captures it. There are
quite a lot of websites (songkick's "gigography" for example) that
publish tracklists and related media (pictures, videos, most of them
hosted on YouTube) for musical performances, which would be great to
capture as structured data.

The "workPerformed" property gets half of the way there, by relating an
work to an event, but there's no property (as far as I can see) which
relate an event to a specific recording (e.g. "captures").

Best,
Yves

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!

topic/music-ontology-specification-group/oFZaytXTByw