Re: VideoGame proposal

On 12 June 2014 21:38, Aaron Bradley <aaranged@gmail.com> wrote:
> Revisions look good - I've a couple of further thoughts upon reviewing the
> proposal again.
>
> 1.  Video game series
>
> The proposal lacks any mechanism for declaring a video game to be part of a
> series.

Richard Wallis and I met up in London a couple weeks back, and
discussed amongst other things the scope of the periodicals proposal.

We agreed that it was a bit of a stretch treating a blog as a
periodical, but I wonder whether it might be a reasonable fit here. I
don't think it does feel right, any more than blog, .... but anyway to
recap the proposed definition ---

https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Periodicals,_Articles_and_Multi-volume_Works#New_Type:_Periodical

"A publication in any medium issued in successive parts bearing
numerical or chronological designations and intended, such as a
magazine, scholarly journal, or newspaper to continue indefinitely."

Perhaps the analogy here is with books that appear in such series?
this kind of a notion...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novel_sequence#Contemporary_pressures_and_novel_sequences

As Wikipedia notes,

"Novel sequences, though, are now most common in genre fiction,
particularly in science fiction and epic fantasy. The introduction of
the preconstructed novel sequence is often attributed to E. E. Doc
Smith, with his Lensman books. Such sequences, from contemporary
authors, tend to be more clearly defined than earlier examples.
Authors are now more likely to announce an overall series title, or
write in round numbers such as 12 volumes. These characteristics are
not those of the classical model forms, and become more like the
'franchises' of the film industry."

... perhaps they could've equally said, "... of the film and game
industries" there?

Dan