RE: The exact meaning of a 'global identifier' (itemid)

On Monday, June 09, 2014 11:14 PM, Jarno van Driel wrote:
> > "...So, if your document lives at http://example.com/document the
> > "global identifier" will behttp://example.com/document#fragment"
>
> 1] So this because this is simply how it works then or because that's
> how schema.org treats itemid? Now I'm not being a smartass here, I
> just really want to understand how this is treated from a schema.org
> POV

Because it’s defined that way in the Microdata spec:

     The global identifier of an item is the value of its element's
     itemid attribute, if it has one, resolved relative to the element
     on which the attribute is specified. If the itemid attribute is
     missing or if resolving it fails, it is said to have no global
     identifier.

> > "...all properties would be merged so that you end up with a single
> > item..."
>
> 2] That's what I thought as well. Which is supported by the fact the
> structured data linter resolves it this way. But both Google's and
> Yandex's SDTT don't and there is no info I could find on how the
> sponsors look at it. So inconclusive data VS no documentation; What am
> I to believe for certain?

Only Google, Yandex etc. themselves will be able to tell you what they do with such data. Maybe you should formulate your question differently. Does it affect you if they do it one way or the other way? In which way does it affect you? Does it matter?

--
Markus Lanthaler
@markuslanthaler