Re: The exact meaning of a 'global identifier' (itemid)

It is admittedly more difficult on the web where entities¡¯ IDs can be dereferenced to multiple locations. This is where the DOI might come in handy, as it is a single identifier with multiple resolution points.

For fragment identifiers, that¡¯s a tougher call. I can¡¯t think of what their utility would be, but that¡¯s a failure of my own imagination. ;)

From: Jarno van Driel <jarnovandriel@gmail.com<mailto:jarnovandriel@gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, June 9, 2014 at 3:29 PM
To: Laura Dawson <Laura.Dawson@bowker.com<mailto:Laura.Dawson@bowker.com>>
Cc: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net<mailto:markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>>, W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org<mailto:public-vocabs@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: The exact meaning of a 'global identifier' (itemid)

But what about the two entities with the same @itemid?

And what about fragment identifiers (#), how does schema.org<http://schema.org> look at those?

The Microdata spec says "...It is up to such specifications to define whether multiple items with the same global identifier (whether on the same page or on different pages) are allowed to exist, and what the processing rules for that vocabulary are with respect to handling the case of multiple items with the same ID."

Coming up through the world of describing books (physical and digital, as
objects and as concepts), the one rule that never let me down is ©øLet the
identifier identify; let the metadata [or, in this case, ontology]
describe.©÷ An ISBN, for example, is just a number - fairly meaningless,
definitely not dereference-able. But it is nonetheless a critical
identifier even as we move to different ways of describing books, for the
simple reason that it was developed to say, ©øThis book is not that book.©÷
The more you can decouple descriptions from identifiers, the more
stability and flexibility your schema will have.

--
Jarno van Driel
Technical & Semantic SEO Consultant

Tel: +31 652 847 608