Re: Benifit of Schema.org over linked data or vice versa

On 5/31/14 5:20 PM, Farhana Sarker wrote:
> Hi,
> I am Farhana Sarker, student in the University of Southampton.
> I am keen to know the benefit of using schema.org over linked data technology in reusing or interoperability of data or vice versa.
> Could you please help me in this regards?
>
> Best regards,
> Farhana

Farhana,

Schema.org is a collaboratively constructed vocabulary.

Linked Data is about denoting (naming or referring to) entities
*unambiguously* using HTTP URI so an entity name resolves to a
description of its referent (i.e., what it denotes).

With the above definitions in place, in regards to Schema.org and Linked
Data, it so happens that Schema.org doesn't mandate *unambiguous* entity
denotation. Thus, in the context of Schema.org, you can have an HTTP URI
that denotes both a Entity and the Web Document (content can be of any
format) that describes the aforementioned Entity [1][2].

Hope this helps.

Links:

[1] http://schema.org/Offer -- HTTP URI that denotes an entity

[2] http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9DL64QR7 -- sample report from a
utility (called Vapor) that attempts to makes sense (discern meaning) of
what the HTTP URI above denotes.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen