Re: Benifit of Schema.org over linked data or vice versa

On 06/02/2014 05:34 AM, John Erickson wrote:
> Farhana Sarker <fs5g09@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I am keen to know the benefit of using schema.org over linked data technology in reusing or interoperability of data or vice versa.
>> Could you please help me in this regards?
>
> It's not a question of "benefit...over." Schema.org vocabularies and
> publication methods are consistent with linked data best practices
> and, in essence, further the cause.
>
> Simple example: when publishing catalogs of datasets, embed markup
> based on http://schema.org/Dataset in those pages. This will enable
> popular search engines (and/or other tools) to index the metadata
> describing those datasets with higher fidelity, leading to more
> reliable discovery by data consumers.
>
> Linked data is useless if it can't be found...

schema.org does not completely conform to linked open data practices.  In
particular, schema.org does not conform with RDF or RDFS, as it uses its own
method for datatypes and its own method for domains and ranges.  schema.org
also accepts strings where objects (e.g., persons) are expected.

peter