Re: makesOffer should accept Service

On 1/7/14, 11:21 AM, Martin Hepp wrote:

> In theory, we would not need a distinct type for "Product" (nor Service); we could simply say we have an agent, and offer, and a thing. But it felt unnatural to not have a Product class in an e-commerce ontology.
>
> But I disagree that the product type is the same as the offer. Being a product is a role that a thing can have, and this type adds properties that are relevant only in this context (e.g. a stock keeping unit). The offer is the promise to transfer some or all rights on the thing.

Ah, but that isn't what I meant. I meant that in schema.org "product" is
a thing being offered. Which I think would modify your scenario from:
   agent - object - promise - location

to:

   agent - promise - object - location

The schema Product *definition* includes "made available" (we'll ignore
"for sale") in the definition of product. So offer and product appear to
be closely entwined, as a product is defined as something that is
offered. To separate them, one would need to define product as
"something made" with perhaps "eventually intended for sale/exchange".
That would be reminiscent of the indecs "people create stuff, people
make deals about stuff."

Product can be contrasted with CreativeWork, whose definition is less
than enlightening: "The most generic kind of creative work, including
books, movies, photographs, software programs, etc." CreativeWork is not
by definition "made available" in the way that Product is. And of course
some creative works are products, so like the separation of product and
service we have fuzzy definitional boundaries. What is the difference
between a film as a creative work and a film on DVD for sale?

I'm not suggesting that we should or even can resolve these, but I do
see the problem as going beyond the product/offer issue.

kc