Re: Schema.org Sports Vocabulary Proposal

On 02/13/2014 01:04 PM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:

>>> Yes, but I'd be more inclined to use a sameAs relationship from a RoleType instance to, say, a Freebase URI to describe the role rather than concrete subclasses, but this is definitely a step in the right direction. Alternatively, this could be a string, but a URI would be best practice.
>>>
>>> Gregg
>>>
>> I'm quite surprised at your proposal to use Freebase URis to describe roles.   What information do you think that would be provided by the Freebase page?  Would these links be to Freebase roles?
> Well, given that it's schema.org, freebase seems like a natural source of identifiers for much SEO, but I see this as a standing for DBpedia URIs. DBpedia provides a sameAs relationship to the equivalent Freebase resource, so it should be semantically equivalent. I'd be fine with specifying the enumeration space be from DBpedia instead.
>
> For example, <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Major_League_Baseball> asserts a sameAs relationship to <http://rdf.freebase.com/ns/m.09p14>. Of course, DBpedia has the advantage of being much more readable. (However, this isn't the same as  <http://www.freebase.com/ns/m.09p14>, so maybe there are some naming/content-negotiation issues remaining?)
>
> Interestingly, most schema.org examples I see use various language-based WikiPedia pages instead of DBpedia. They're also equivalents in DBpedia, though.
>
> Gregg

I don't see what representational connection there should be between
schema.org and Freebase.  Certainly right now one of the partners in
schema.org controls Freebase, but that doesn't turn Freebase into a
representational silk purse.

In particular, Freebase properties are tied to particular types. Take a look
at birthdate for people and living organisms, for example.

The situation is somewhat better for objects in Freebase, but not much better.

peter

PS:  This isn't to say that Freebase couldn't be turned into something with
representational oomph, but I don't see that happening right now.