Re: Schema.org Sports Vocabulary Proposal

On Feb 12, 2014, at 12:20 PM, Jason Johnson (BING) <jasjoh@microsoft.com> wrote:

> What are your thoughts on http://vocab.org/participation/schema as a solution to this problem?

It pretty adequately describes the important concepts, but I'm not a big fan of having reverse properties, which can be difficult to manage. Anyway, JSON-LD doesn't really require them because of the @reverse relationship type.

> Also, where do you draw the line between a relationship that should be expressed as a ‘Role’ or ‘Contribution’, and a relationship that is not?  Is the location of a restaurant the ‘location’ role of that ‘restaurant’?

I think that Role and Contribution are two different things; Role describes a specific function, and Contribution relates some entity with this role. I think it's best used for people or organizations, and not things like locations. Best modeling would relate a team to a set of member Contributions, each of which relate an individual (person or organization) with one or more roles. The tradeoff is that this introduces a layer of indirection which doesn't exist otherwise. However, you might have both "member" and "contributor" properties, so that the "member" property can directly reference the individual members irrespective of their specific contribution. Of course, this can also be inferred information.

Gregg