Re: property/class ambiguity in languages with no letter case

Hi,

I think that in most cases foo -> Foo (i.e. property foo having rdfs:range
instances of class Foo) can be read as 'has Foo'. However, as Dan pointed
out, there are some cases, for which this doesn't hold. It's not a
convention everyone follows.

I wanted to have a broader look at this pattern, in which properties use
lower-cased local name of classes in their range. So I queried LOV SPARQL
endpoint (http://lov.okfn.org/endpoint/lov), downloaded vocabularies it
lists (those that resolved), and queried the merged dataset to see what
properties and classes following the mentioned naming pattern are there.

This sample contains 251 such property-class pairs and it's available at
http://databin.pudo.org/t/289185. The (hidden) third column contains "yes"
if the triple property rdfs:range class is present.

I hope this sample can serve as an approximate illustration of this
widespread naming pattern in practice.

Best,

Jindřich

--