Re: schema.org sdo-venkman release is now live as v1.92

On 23/12/14 10:38, Niklas Lindström wrote:
> Paul, Dan,
>
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 6:15 PM, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com
> <mailto:danbri@google.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 22 December 2014 at 11:58, Paul Watson
>     <lazarus@lazaruscorporation.co.uk
>     <mailto:lazarus@lazaruscorporation.co.uk>> wrote:
>     > Hi Niklas
>     >
>     > Yes, there was some discussion some months back, I think. My
>     view is that
>     > Painting and Sculpture should be deprecated, but there is a case
>     for keeping
>     > Photograph for non-artistic uses (e.g. documentary photography).
>

> I recall this, and my position is somewhat different. Although
> defining VisualArtwork as based on intent more than on concrete form
> can be defended, I wonder if this pattern is somewhat different from
> the more "naive realism" of schema.org <http://schema.org> in general.
> While CreativeWork might seem to be about "art", taking its definition
> and other specific subclasses into consideration, I see a concrete
> pattern most compatible with keeping Painting, Sculpture and
> Photograph, and *adding* some evidently missing ones, such as Drawing
> and Collage (and limit neither to strictly artistic creations). Given
> the choice, I'd rather have that than delegating this aspect to
> uncontrolled string values of the artform property. (Although I'd also
> like VisualWork or Image as a superclass for Paining, Photograph and
> Drawing.)

Hi Niklas

The problem with creating specific subclasses for the hundreds of
different artforms that galleries, academics, and artists use to
describe the various media that an artist can work in is simply that -
there are literally hundreds of them, which would necessitate the
creation and maintenance of hundreds of different schema.org subclasses.

When I was trying to work out how to model Visual Artworks using
schema.org I looked at existing systems such as the Getty Art &
Architecture Thesaurus
(http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/aat/) and the number
of art forms surprised me (and I'm a practising artist as well as a web
developer).

Additionally new art forms are being invented all the time, especially
digital/software forms - which is exciting for artists and art lovers,
but for us would mean that new schema.org subclasses would need to be
added almost continuously if we were to go with the "specific subclasses
for each artform" model, adding to the chaos of maintaining hundreds of
subclasses.

The final advantage of a generic VisualArtwork class with a "free text"
artform property is that it allows the artform property of VisualArtwork
to be easily populated from existing and widely used (in
academia/museums) controlled  vocabularies for art such as Getty AAT
stored in "industry-standard" formats such as VRA Core 4. An example of
this mapping between schema.org/VisualArtwork and VRA Core 4/AAT is
provided on the wiki:
https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/VisualArtwork#VRA_4.0_XML_using_Getty_AAT_structured_vocabulary

I understand where you're coming from, and your approach is much
"neater" in theory, but in practice I just don't think it would be
viable, especially if we would like art institutions who already use
VRA/AAT etc. for their records to be able to implement schema.org on
their websites without needing to remap all their existing data.

Cheers,

Paul