Re: schema.org sdo-venkman release is now live as v1.92

Paul, Dan,

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 6:15 PM, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:

> On 22 December 2014 at 11:58, Paul Watson
> <lazarus@lazaruscorporation.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi Niklas
> >
> > Yes, there was some discussion some months back, I think. My view is that
> > Painting and Sculpture should be deprecated, but there is a case for
> keeping
> > Photograph for non-artistic uses (e.g. documentary photography).

I recall this, and my position is somewhat different. Although defining
VisualArtwork as based on intent more than on concrete form can be
defended, I wonder if this pattern is somewhat different from the more
"naive realism" of schema.org in general. While CreativeWork might seem to
be about "art", taking its definition and other specific subclasses into
consideration, I see a concrete pattern most compatible with keeping
Painting, Sculpture and Photograph, and *adding* some evidently missing
ones, such as Drawing and Collage (and limit neither to strictly artistic
creations). Given the choice, I'd rather have that than delegating this
aspect to uncontrolled string values of the artform property. (Although I'd
also like VisualWork or Image as a superclass for Paining, Photograph and
Drawing.)

But given the latter as the only choice, I'd still prefer something using
controlled Intangibles, akin to bookFormat. At least as a clear option from
the start, even if only using external enumerations.

> We discussed Sculpture before, as not being purely a visual thing. If
> you search around you'll find plenty of articles about sculpture as a
> tactile experience, e.g. (but not only) created by, or for
> appreciation by, people who are blind or with visual impairment. With
> 3D printing technologies rising fast it seems reasonable to assume
> "look don't touch" attitudes to sculpture might fade further in the
> face of cheap and accurate object replication. In general I don't see
> a need to throw out perfectly serviceable types (Painting too) just
> because we've generalised them. Although I'll acknowledge that having
> two ways of saying the same thing does add complexity, having a short
> form as a simple type can also often be handy.

I certainly agree to keeping them. I do feel some discomfort with the two
ways of saying the same thing, at least by adding artform and material at
this level of specificity. You might as well add something like workForm
and workMaterial (or to use the RDA equivalents, contentType and
carrierType) directly on CreativeWork, with a choice of Text or Intangible.
That could supersede bookFormat as well.

(I do admit that my meager attempt at "normalization" here is rather
incomplete, as we still have MediaObject and its subclasses which might bee
seen as at odds with this approach. Still, I think these options are worth
considering, to avoid divergent overspecializations in new corners of
schema.org.)

Cheers,
Niklas

cheers,