Re: Property Names, was Re: Automotive, EXIF, Property-Values

> On 12/19/14, 12:33 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> I think we are talking about different things here. I am not
>>> comparing schema:rangeIncludes with rdfs:range, but with the
>>> class-centric definition that I suggested below. The class-centric
>>> approach is more flexible (for machines) than rangeIncludes, and can
>>> easily also be used to produce things like UML diagrams that are
>>> intuitive to understand by humans.
>>>
>>> Holger
>>
>> Will the following syntax:
>>
>> schema:MedicalEntity
>>     a rdfs:Class ;
>>     rdfs:subClassOf schema:Thing ;
>>     :property [
>>         :predicate schema:code ;
>>         :valueType schema:MedicalCode ;
>>         rdfs:label "code" ;
>>         rdfs:comment "A medical code for the entity, taken from a
>> controlled vocabulary or ontology such as ICD-9, DiseasesDB, MeSH,
>> SNOMED-CT, RxNorm, etc." ;
>>     ] ; ...
>
> Let me try to rephrase what this means in prose: The property
> schema:code is potentially relevant for all instances of
> schema:MedicalEntity (and its subclasses). When used for such
> instances, all values of the property schema:code are expected to have
> type schema:MedicalCode (or a subclass of it). User interfaces
> displaying instances of MedicalEntity should use the provided label
> and comment when talking about schema:code. The comment also doubles
> as a description for API documentation etc. The constraint does not
> narrow down the expected number of values (cardinality) - that would
> be done via :minCount and :maxCount. Instances of the class may have
> many other properties, and there is no limit on using other properties
> that are not explicitly enumerated via :property.
>

>> Equate to the following, semantically (represented using "is of"
>> syntax sugar)?
>>
>> schema:MedicalEntity
>> a rdfs:Class ;
>> rdfs:subClassOf schema:Thing ;
>> is schema:domainincludes of
>>                                             schema:code,
>>                                             schema:MedicalCode,
>>                                             rdfs:label "code",
>>                                             rdfs:comment .
>
> Something feels missing above (did some characters disappear?), but
> yes :property is comparable to the inverse of schema:domainIncludes,
> only that it uses a (blank) node to collect various characteristics of
> the property and thus carries more information than domainIncludes. In
> fact it also includes rangeIncludes and many other things.
>

>> I am hoping the shapes related syntax sugar is distinct from actual
>> underlying semantics.
>>
> The proposed syntax above has formal semantics, backed by SPARQL
> queries (e.g. using COUNT for the cardinality checks). (In terms of
> SPIN, :property is just a sub-property of spin:constraint, and the
> bnode is a SPIN template call.)
>
> HTH
> Holger

Holger,

Sorry! I should have taken it as RDF rather than thinking (for whatever
reasons) it was syntax sugar :)

Anyway, how about, this little tweak:

@prefix spin <http://spinrdf.org/spin#> .

<#property>
rdfs:label "Property";
rdfs:comment "An Attribute of a Class, where each Attribute is a
Name=Value pairing.";
rdfs:subPropertyOf spin:constraint .

schema:MedicalEntity
     a rdfs:Class ;
     rdfs:subClassOf schema:Thing ;
     <#property> [
                            <#predicate> schema:code ;
                            <#valueType> schema:MedicalCode ;
                            rdfs:label "code" ;
                            rdfs:comment "A medical code for the entity,
taken from a controlled vocabulary or ontology
                                              such as ICD-9, DiseasesDB,
MeSH, SNOMED-CT, RxNorm, etc."
     ] .

--