From: Wes Turner [wes.turner@gmail.com]
Sent: 16 December 2014 12:56
To: Barker, Phil A
Cc: Vicki Tardif Holland; GUANGYUAN PIAO; Thad Guidry; Aaron Bradley; Public Vocabs
Subject: Re: [Proposal] schema:OnlineCourse

Is this satisfied by http://schema.org/isPartOf , or is there a need for a more specific property?

> 2. I don't think there is much to be gained from having a separate class on OnlineCourse rather than a property of a Course to flag whether it is online or not. I  think the properties you have for OnlineCourse also apply to regular courses. Most regular courses have an online component.

So long as there is something to indicate that a Course is a "MOOC".

> 3. I think it would be better to model an instance of a Course as a collection of EducationalEvents and CreativeWorks.

This could indeed be useful for e.g. modeling a Syllabus.

Use Case: I've been thinking about how to express a curriculum set with/as RDFa. I have a number of PDFs; and I have a number of wikipedia topic/concept links which are advantageous in that they are translated conceptual identifiers, in dbpedia. These could be 'educationalAlignment' 'AlignmentObject.targetURL' s, if they were an 'established educational framework.' [1][2] ... How do I legitimize this with parenthetical notations and necessary RDFa?

In consultation with the authors of SKOS about adding prefPluralLabel (not likely, in the near future), I learned about http://rdf-vocabulary.ddialliance.org/xkos.html , which demonstrates usage of rdf:List ; which would be useful for expressing an ordered set of syllabi things that have URIs and metadata.

> 4. [normative epistemiology: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/learning-formal/ ]

"Education must provide the opportunities for self-fulfillment; it can at best provide a rich and challenging environment for the individual to explore, in [his] own way." -- Chomsky

> [...] do you have some usecases in mind and target example websites? It's difficult to assess whether these properties are sufficient and realistic without those.

If you have the time to dig through, this thread [3] lists a number of hypothetical and actual use cases:

  *   http://www.edumine.com/
  *   http://www.ieee.org/portal/innovate/products/educational/
  *   https://www.futurelearn.com/
  *   https://www.udacity.com/
  *   https://www.edx.org/
  *   https://www.coursera.org/
  *   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_learning_management_systems
  *   [University] Course Catalogs contain prerequisites and matriculation requirements
  *   US Primary education standards: http://www.corestandards.org/ "Common Core"
     *   This could potentially be extremely useful for discovering useful curriculum resources
  *   https://developers.google.com/edu/curriculumsearch/ (educationalAlignment -> "Course")

  *   Src: https://github.com/edx/
  *   Src: https://github.com/classcentral/class-central/tree/master/src/ClassCentral/SiteBundle/Entity

[1] https://westurner.github.io/redditlog/#comment/ci3c1o3