RE: New Proposal - Measurement (in support of describing sports statistics)

If you are dabbling in this area, possibly worth aligning terminology with VIM [1], and standards In the technical community such as ISO 19156 O&M (summarized at [2] and links). 'Measurement' is generally understood as a special case of 'observation', being a value estimation event whose result is a scaled number (i.e. a 'quantity').

[1] http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/guides/vim.html
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observations_and_Measurements

From: Jason Johnson (BING) [mailto:jasjoh@microsoft.com]
Sent: Thursday, 28 August 2014 4:08 AM
To: public-vocabs@w3.org
Subject: New Proposal - Measurement (in support of describing sports statistics)

In order to support describing sports statistics, we need the ability to describe measurements that happen over a certain time period, where the value of the measurement can either be a quantity or a rate.  Our current schema.org vocabulary is not sufficient to cover these needs but models, somewhat inconsistently, various aspects of it.  This proposal aims to clean up the existing vocabulary a bit and introduce new terminology to meet the needs of describing sports statistics.

Impacted classes and properties include:

http://schema.org/StructuredValue
http://schema.org/QuantativeValue
http://schema.org/value
http://schema.org/unitCode

The Sports proposal is dependent upon review and approval of this proposal or similar alternative.  The ItemList proposal also takes advantage of this proposal.

https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Measurement
https://www.w3.org/wiki/File:Schema.orgMeasurement.pdf

I look forward to your timeline feedback.

Cheers,

Jason Johnson
Microsoft | Bing