Re: progressing VisualArtwork

On 19/08/14 21:20, Jarno van Driel wrote:

>     "My immediate feeling is that the existing Painting and Sculpture
>     types should be marked as deprecated somehow "
>

> The only thing about this proposal that really makes me feel
> uncomfortable is the 'artform' property. It already has been
> established it's a VisualArtwork, which by itself already is a
> classification.
>
> Maybe we therefore could continue on the path of 'Classification' by
> having Painting and Sculpture be subClasses of VisualArtwork?
> This would also open up the possibility of adding more specific types
> like Collage for example. Which would need a property/Value pair like:
> [sourceMaterial/CreativeWork] (and I can come up with two or three
> more easily).
>
> Using 'additionalType' for further classification seems a bit too
> limited for this. Not that there's anything wrong with using
> Productontology of course but it would not provide any
> additional/specific properties. And I know from experience that
> different artforms quickly require such granularity.
>
> The following use of 'artform > painting' just doesn't make sense to me:

>     <link itemprop="sameAs" href="http://rdf.freebase.com/rdf/m.0439_q">
>     [...]
>
> Yet we also have schema.org/Painting <http://schema.org/Painting> (&
> Sculpture & anything else that's requested in the future), which as a
> subClass would prevent anything from having to be deprecated and
> keeping current implementations valid. Heck, it would even require
> less markup:

>     <link itemprop="sameAs" href="http://rdf.freebase.com/rdf/m.0439_q">
>     [...]

Hi Jarno,

My main concern about that suggestion is a practical one: I can think of
30-40 different types of artform we'd need to create subClasses for off
the top of my head (and I could list hundreds more if I start referring
to the Getty CDWA or VRA Core) - maintenance would be a nightmare and
we'd have a constant stream of new subClasses being proposed on this
list for be added to schema.org.

By using the artform property (which galleries and museums would
probably populate from one of the existing controlled vocabularies) we
prevent an explosion of hundreds of new subClasses whilst still allowing
the degree of precise classification that galleries and museums (and
artists like myself) need.

I did consider your proposed approach back in early 2013 when I was
formulating my ideas, and I alluded to it in my original email to this
list proposing the VisualArtwork type in May 2013
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2013May/0024.html):

"As you can see, rather than having many different subTytpes of Creative work for paintings, sculptures, prints, drawings, collages, tapestry, etc, the VisualArtwork proposal allows the artform to be designated under the new "artform" property."

Also, having Painting and Sculpture as subClasses of VisualArtwork seems
to me like keeping them for the sake of it - they don't have any
additional properties over-and-above VisualArtwork. They served a
purpose in the past, but I think that their purpose has been superseded
and are probably due for retirement.

Regards,

Paul