RE: Inverse Properties in Microdata:, was Re: schema.org update, v1.8: added WebSite type; broadened isPartOf to relate CreativeWorks

On Tuesday, August 05, 2014 1:55 PM, Jarno van Driel wrote:
> Unfortunately, from a developer's perspective, having to add @itemid
> and <link itemprop="..." href="#itemid"> isn't always solution for
> every situation either; It shares one property of @itemref that can
> get in the way: The need for an identifier (@id or @itemid).
>
> And from a developer's perspective this is why I'd like to see
> @itemprop-reverse get added to microdata. It just isn't always
> feasible to add identifiers throughout a template in a *cost
> effective* manner, and adding @itemprop-reverse helps to be able to
> resolve this issue.

I'm curious. Could you please elaborate a bit on this. All but the second last example in

  https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/InverseProperties

use identifiers and as far as I understood it, you helped creating this.

>> "Reading my mini tutorial above, do you still think it will cost you
>> "bucketloads of [your] free time"?"
>
> For others? I sure do. I myself have invested so much time and energy already
> that I dare to think I understand most of it by now (thanks to a lot of folks here).
>
> But try comparing the difference in output in Google's structured data
> testing tool between a document that contains microdata and the same
> document in RDFa (Lite).

Thanks for pointing this out. I somehow never realized it before.

> That alone is enough to fry the brain of most
> who are trying to make the switch to RDFa (Lite).

Fully agreed. This should definitely be fixed. I know, wrong mailing list...

--
Markus Lanthaler
@markuslanthaler