Re: has, is, of

On 4/20/14, 12:11 PM, Dan Scott wrote:

> branchOf
> causeOf
> comprisedOf
> estimatesRiskOf
> increasesRiskOf
> isPartOf
> isVariantOf
> memberOf
> predecessorOf
> successorOf
>
> And the currently used "isFoo" properties are:
>
> isAvailableGenerically
> isBasedOnUrl
> isConsumableFor
> isFamilyFriendly
> isGift
> isPartOf
> isProprietary
> isRelatedTo
> isSimilarTo
> isVariantOf

I always get worried about language misunderstandings whenever
prepositions are involved. I don't know how all this reads to non-native
speakers of either British or American English, but I do know that even
between those two the prepositions can vary: "Have a chat to" vs. "Have
a chat with" is pretty innocent vis-a-vis schema.org, but the American
"agree to something" is simply "agree something" in British English, so
a property "agreeTo" would be strange to a British speaker. And I don't
see what would be ambiguous about:
   X -> related -> Y
especially when read following the W3C document's model:

Y is the value of -> related -> for X
X has property -> related -> with a value Y

although:
the related -> of X is -> Y

is awkward, whereas
the title -> of X is Y

is not. I agree with Thad's "KISS" - keeping it simple.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net