Re: Inverse properties, was: Re: Socialnetworks of a person or organization

From: <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 13:40:44 +0200
Cc: W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>
To: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>
On 14 Apr 2014, at 12:34, Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

>> At the moment, I think it would be way better to either enhance Microdata by a reverse property mechanism, or to advocate the use of JSON-LD or RDFa for such cases,
>
> I agree that one of these is a better solution than continuing to add specific inverses for properties (there are a random set there already).
>
> I'm ambivalent about whether we should try to deprecate microdata, or improve it. In Russia in particular it is popular...

I think we should try to improve Microdata. It has proven to be a useful syntax for data markup in HTML. The move towards JSON-LD for more granular data in HTML will happen, IMO, in parallel and in other areas - like pages with a lot of data (e.g. automotive data sheets), quickly changing data (e.g. airfare tickets or timetable information), and in general RESTful APIs.

Of all the proposals now listed in

    https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/InverseProperties#Proposed_Action

I think the new @itemrole keyword with "rel" and "rev" as supported values and "rel" being the default is best. It is conceptually cleaner (since rel vs. rel is a modifier of the itemprop keyword) and it is backwards-compatible (no existing markup has to be changed).

Martin