Re: Socialnetworks of a person or organization

On 4/11/14 12:03 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 4/11/14 11:42 AM, Justin Boyan wrote:
>> I'm going to +1 Dan's first post on this thread, where he suggested
>> reusing sameAs for this purpose and not introducing a new top-level
>> property.
>>
>> sameAs already exists to allow linking to a reference page for an
>> entity, like its Wikipedia page, Freebase page, or website (DNS
>> registry page). The social sites motivating the 'hasAccount' proposal
>> -- Facebook, Twitter, G+, LinkedIn, etc. -- can equally be viewed as
>> catalogs of entities. The issue of who controls the data for that
>> entity on the site is a slippery issue that wouldn't be captured in
>> the account vs. sameAs distinction anyway.
>>
>> In fact, sameAs is actually clearer semantically than 'hasAccount':
>>  an organization like the BBC with many Twitter accounts might be
>> tempted to list all of them under 'hasAccount', whereas sameAs more
>> clearly limits the desired link to just the top-level account for the
>> BBC as a whole. (Twitter accounts for suborganizations of the BBC
>> would be better modeled via sameAs links from entities corresponding
>> to those suborganizations.)
>>
>> I don't see any particular semantic gain from { BBC hasAccount
>> twitter.com/BBC <http://twitter.com/BBC> } compared to { BBC sameAs
>> twitter.com/BBC <http://twitter.com/BBC> }.
>>
>> Whereas, I'm concerned that webmasters will become ever more confused
>> when they have to worry about hasAccount alongside the existing
>> sameAs, url, and @id on every single schema.org <http://schema.org> type.
>>
>> My $0.02.
>> Justin
> Justin,
>
> I assumed "account" and my suggested "hasAccount" denoted actual
> "account ownership" oriented relations i.e., relationship properties
> that determine how two entities are associated. In short, my entry
> into this thread was all to do with providing counter points to some
> arguments about unambiguous vs ambiguous entity denotation, using HTTP
> URIs.
>
> Of course I wouldn't be suggesting "account" or "hasAccount" as
> identifiers for coreference relations.
>
> 'same as', 'sameAs', :sameAs, <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#sameAs>,
> are different kinds of identifiers that denote age-old coreference
> relations. The only issue is whether inference and reasoning on these
> relations is scoped to:
>
> 1. humans
> 2. machines
> 3. both.
>
> Hope this clarifies my position :-)

Just to close the loop re., comments above. Here is a more readable link
to a document that describes the owl:sameAs relation [1].

[1]
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/www.w3.org/2002/07/owl%01sameAs
-- owl:sameAs relation
[2]
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2002%2F07%2Fowl%23sameAs&graph=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2002%2F07%2Fowl
-- ditto but with faceted navigation over relations, as an interaction
option .

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen