Re: Citation markup with Periodical proposal

From: Dan Scott <dan@coffeecode.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 14:14:14 -0400
To: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Cc: Niklas Lindström <lindstream@gmail.com>, "public-vocabs@w3.org" <public-vocabs@w3.org>
On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 07:48:56PM +0200, Karen Coyle wrote:
>Thanks, Niklas and Dan and Adrian.
>
>Niklas, yours is a successful version of something that I tried
>unsuccessfully - nesting all of the periodical "parts" in between
>article properties. The turtle makes sense to me, even though the
>RDFa is hard to grasp (but then, I'm not a machine).
>
>Dan, I couldn't turtle-ize yours, and the rich snippet tool appears
>to be flaky and wouldn't spit out the pages section. It may be
>equivalent to Niklas' - I have no idea. Sorry.

My fault: I'm much better at RDFa than I am at microdata; I should have
prefixed http://schema.org/ to the PublicationVolume / PublicationIssue
types in my microdata example. At least that works as I meant it to in
http://linter.structured-data.org and
http://rdf.greggkellogg.net/distiller (and by the way, Gregg, you rock
for providing both of those services!)

In any case, the core difference between Niklas's and my example is that
I did not include any nesting, because I thought flat was what you were
asking for. And yes, the Rich Snippet Tool is well-known for dropping
properties that it doesn't recognize (it complains about isPartOf and
presumably can't be bothered to complain about pageStart / pageEnd).

Let's get this proposal adopted and put the Rich Snippet Tool to work!