Re: Citation markup with Periodical proposal

On Apr 8, 2014, at 11:29 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:

> I'll start by apologizing for my naive code, but here is an attempt to mark up a scholarly article citation in MLA format using the Periodical proposal. This will be a very common use case, IMO. I just want to be sure that this use case can be simply yet correctly marked up using the elements of the Periodical proposal.
>
> First, here's the list of what goes into an MLA citation of this type:
>
> • author(s)
> • article title
> • publication title (journal, magazine, etc.)
> • volume number
> • publication date (abbreviate months, if used)
> • the inclusive page numbers
> • medium of publication
>
> The citation, with minimal html (the way most are today, I think):

> And my attempt at markup:

> I tried to keep this as simple as possible, but I realized that I needed a new itemtype to encode the periodical title, since both article title and periodical title use the itemprop "name". Note that this example does not surface types "PublicationVolume" and "PublicationIssue" since I assume that volumeNumber and issueNumber are sufficiently distinctive.
>
> If this simple example is correct (if!), then I think that
> 1) it would be good to go through a few more citation types, like book chapters and single volumes of a multi-volume work to see if they also fit with simple markup
> 2) add at least one of those examples to the page

Hi Karen, I get the following Turtle for your example:

@prefix md: <http://www.w3.org/ns/md#> .
@prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix rdfa: <http://www.w3.org/ns/rdfa#> .
@prefix schema: <http://schema.org/> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .

<> md:item ([
       a schema:ScholarlyArticle;
       schema:author "Carlyle, Allyson.";
       schema:datePublished "October 2006";
       schema:issueNumber "4";
       schema:name "Understanding FRBR as a Conceptual Model: FRBR and the Bibliographic Universe";
       schema:volumeNumber "50"
     ] [
       a schema:Periodical;
       schema:name "Library Resources and Technical Services"
     ]);
   rdfa:usesVocabulary schema: .

Note that the article and the periodical are not related to each other. You're probably missing an @itemprop on the div introducing the new @itemtype. Perhaps schema:publisher?

Gregg