Re: Proposal: Audiobook

Hi Karen,
as already posted earlier today:

On Sep 23, 2013, at 6:31 PM, Karen Coyle wrote:

> Martin, I'm not fully grasping your point here, but looking at Product it does not appear to have any way to connect it to descriptions of CreativeWorks that are being offered. (And vice versa, from CWs to Product) Am I understanding that correctly?

Simply use two types for the entity, then you can treat it as a Product and CreativeWorks and use properties from both types.

> I think what we would want would be more than an additional type on an offer,

No, please not. That would spoil the clean conceptual model for offers in schema.org.

> since we do want the description of the CreativeWork and the Product Offer to be connected.

Simply use the offers property from Product or the itemOffered property from offer and make the AudioBook (or other object) of type AudioBook AND Product.

> I note that the examples that we did for AudioBook have a librarian bias, so they don't include information from Product. Should we add a subclass to Product to correct this?

There is no need to add commercial properties of the offer to the object being offered. One core distinction that GoodRelations makes (and that has also been in schema.org from day 1) is the separation between a product (the object being offered for sale, lease, disposal, ...) and the offer (i.e. the promise to grant someone some rights on the object for some compensation (e.g. dollars).

This actually simplifies the lives of everybody suggesting new types for schema.org, since you do not need to cater for properties that refer to the offer; solely such that are relevant for describing the object itself.

Martin