Re: Semantically marking up a "checklist" or process

From: Justin Boyan <jaboyan@google.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:51:40 -0400
To: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Cc: Jason Douglas <jasondouglas@google.com>, Jarno van Driel <jarno@quantumspork.nl>, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>, Guha Guha <guha@google.com>, TallyFy <hello@tallyfy.com>, PublicVocabs <public-vocabs@w3.org>, Vicki Tardif Holland <vtardif@google.com>, Sam Goto <goto@google.com>
The current proposal is ambiguous about whether the ListItem is the item
itself, or whether the ListItem.represents is the item. Here are two
options which I think would be clearer:

Option 1. Make the range of itemListElement be Thing.  Create a new
StructuredValue called NumberedItem which pairs a Number and a Thing.

With this schema, representing a list without numbers can be done with a
flat model:

{ "@context" : "http://schema.org",
  "@type" : "ItemList",
  "itemListElement" : [ {"@type" : "Movie", "name" : "Jaws"}, {"@type" :
"Movie", "name" : "Bulworth"} ] }

And the extra hierarchy only comes into play when numbers are required:

{ "@context" : "http://schema.org",
  "@type" : "ItemList",
  "itemListElement" : [ {"@type" : "NumberedItem", "number" : 1, "item" :
{"@type" : "Movie", "name" : "Jaws"}},
                        {"@type" : "NumberedItem", "number" : 2, "item" :
{"@type" : "Movie", "name" : Bulworth"}} ] }

Option 2. Add a new property for the item position directly to
schema.org/Thing. Call it, say, "rank" -- maybe it finds some other general
applications besides item lists.

{ "@context" : "http://schema.org",
  "@type" : "ItemList",
  "itemListElement" : [{"@type" : "Movie", "rank" : 1, "name" : "Jaws"},
{"@type" : "Movie", "rank": 2, "name" : "Bulworth"}] }

What do you think? I think I prefer Option 1.

Justin