Re: Help needed: EPUB 3.01 revision referencing a11y metadata spec

Karen,
thanks for the pointer.
First, as a clarification: In the process of the integration of GoodRelations into schema.org, we decided to keep the pre-defined values of enumerations (i.e. the "instances") in the GoodRelations name space. So only the type (roughly the "class") of all allowed values is defined in the schema.org namespace.

This keeps the amount of elements in the schema.org namespace small and allows for the simple definition of additional, external values.

This having said: I will be happy to define additional instances of

>> http://schema.org/BusinessFunction

in GoodRelations in the next service update if needed; just let me know.

Note that GoodRelations has a subtype of http://schema.org/BusinessFunction, i.e.

    http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#License

which has not been imported to schema.org for legal reasons (search engines have a problem with a vocabulary element that site-owners may want to use to articulate constraints on the usage of their site content beyond a binary crawl allowed / disallowed statement, as supported by robots.txt).

Martin

On Sep 7, 2013, at 8:46 PM, Karen Coyle wrote:

> On 9/6/13 2:41 PM, Dan Scott wrote:
>

>> Change "Text" to new Enumerations
>> ---------------------------------
>> In general, those properties with an expected type of "Text" that
>> have a list of expected values (such as accessMode, mediaFeature,
>> accessHazard, accessAPI, and controlFlexibility) should be redefined to have
>> new enumerations as their expected type. And, ideally, the valid values
>> for those new enumerations would be maintained externally (perhaps by
>> the IMS Global Learning Consortium itself). I'm not the first to mention
>> a concern over how these values will be maintained going forward, but I
>> firmly believe that delegating this responsibility to an external entity
>> with expertise in the area is the best plan for long-term success.
>>
>> For an existing example in schema.org, the http://schema.org/Offer type
>> has the http://schema.org/businessFunction property, which in turn has
>> an expected value of http://schema.org/BusinessFunction - an enumeration
>> that points to the Good Relations vocabulary for its valid set of values.
>

> Which makes me wonder if it wouldn't be appropriate to have these values as part of the GoodRelations vocabulary... their use is not limited to commerce, but I presume that other aspects of GoodRelations are useful outside of that context.
>
> Martin? ;-)
>
> kc
>

>> Rename "ATCompatible"
>> ---------------------
>> Whether it continues to be defined as a Boolean or it evolves into an
>> enumeration, "ATCompatible" is an extremely opaque property name.
>> Despite the additional length, I think it would be helpful to spell
>> it out as assistiveTechnologyCompatible (or accessTechnologyCompatible,
>> or accessTechnology if it evolves into an enumeration).
>>
>> Adopt standard "access" prefix
>> ------------------------------
>> I believe that implementers of schema.org would benefit from having
>> the accessibility properties co-located as much as possible in the
>> schema.org documentation, and therefore would recommend that the new
>> primarily accessibility-oriented properties be renamed with "access" as
>> a standard prefix; for example:
>>
>> * accessMode
>> * mediaFeature -> accessMediaFeature (or just accessFeature?)
>> * ATCompatible -> accessTechnologyCompatible (or just accessTechnology?)
>> * accessHazard
>> * accessAPI
>> * controlFlexibility -> accessControlFlexibility (or just accessControl?)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dan Scott
>>

> --
> Karen Coyle