Re: Schema.org accessibility proposal Review...

On 9/5/13 6:52 PM, Gerardo Capiel wrote:

> We happen to have a few versions of Alice in Wonderland in Bookshare
> that have been indexed by Google's Custom Search Engine, so let's first
> search for a pure text version of it with no visual components:
> http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001043429226464649088:WMX1711548652&q=more:p:book-accessmode:textual%20-more:p:book-accessmode:visual%20more:p:book-name:alice%20in%20wonderland
> <http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001043429226464649088:WMX1711548652&q=more:p:book-accessmode:textual
> -more:p:book-accessmode:visual more:p:book-name:alice in wonderland>
>
> If you inspect one of those titles using Yandex's webmaster tools or
> Google's rich snippets tool that lets me just plug in a URL parameter,
> we can see the accessibility microdata on that page:
> http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bookshare.org%2Fbrowse%2Fbook%2F18041
> <http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets?q=https://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/18041>

Gerardo, I really appreciate seeing this example, and I will say
something about that in a moment. But to begin, I looked at the various
codings of media types in library data and see no conflicts with
accessmode and mediafeature. In fact, I think that these could add some
very useful information that library data does not contain in a terribly
usable way.

I noted, however, the "adaptation" data, which looks like:

hasadaptation:
https://www.bookshare.org/download/book?titleInstanceId=18041&downloadFormat=DAISY_AUDIO
hasadaptation:
https://www.bookshare.org/download/book?titleInstanceId=18041&downloadFormat=BRF
hasadaptation:
https://www.bookshare.org/download/book?titleInstanceId=18041&downloadFormat=EPUB3

The "adaptations" here are what I would think of as alternate digital
formats, and would fit into http://schema.org/encodingFormat. I agree
with Chaals that directionality between these alternate formats is often
difficult to determine. I am thinking of this in terms of eBooks, where
many different formats are generated simultaneously. But what I don't
know is whether there is significance to the directionality in the
accessibility environment, so perhaps you can address that.

I also would prefer that the term "adaptation" not be used for changes
in format/encoding, since in the academic and bibliographic world that
term refers to changes in the *content* not the physical or digital format.

Thanks,
kc

--
Karen Coyle