Re: [a11y-metadata-project] Reminder of accessibility metadata call coming up in an hour (9:00 AM PDT)

Andy
at no point am I saying what is for you - I am providing an example of
a resource with its description and the stated needs of a sample user
and showing how they match ????

Liddy
On 31/10/2013, at 9:40 PM, Andy Heath wrote:

> [...]
> angry when people try to do so). Its *my* choice as to what I can
> use - that has always been a tenet of our work.
>
> andy
>> mmm... now I think you have misunderstood or misread me, Andy.
>>
>> The particular video being described is only accessible with the
>> declared combinations - so audio alone will simply not cut it - it
>> does
>> not have what that requires... so ????
>>

>> On 30/10/2013, at 9:05 PM, Andy Heath wrote:
>>
>>> Liddy,
>>>
>>> I think your example is a good one to explain exactly why it *won't*
>>> work like that.  The problem is it gives too much weight to the
>>> author
>>> and not the context.  For example, for a video with captions your
>>> example gives the metadata
>>>
>>> visual + auditory
>>> visual
>>> visual + text
>>>
>>> as describing the modalities that "is required to be able to
>>> comprehend and use a resource."
>>>
>>> This is *as the author sees it*.
>>> So what other ways are there to see it ?
>>>
>>> Well what about using the auditory mode alone ? (I do this very
>>> often
>>> with the kind of videos that are just talking heads - the bbc don't
>>> think of that usage but I still do it - I even turn the brightness
>>> down to black to save battery while doing that).  Similarly for
>>> text.
>>> So the full set of accessModes required to understand it here would
>>> need to include
>>>
>>> auditory
>>> text
>>>
>>> But authors don't think of these things - only users do. And in
>>> general we won't think of all the ways people might want to use the
>>> content. Expanding all the accessModes exhaustively would be
>>> pointless
>>> as an algorithm could do that trivially.  And even now, I just went
>>> back and re-read it and realised I didn't think of "auditory +
>>> text".
>>> This seems to me has been a central point of our work over the
>>> years -
>>> to NOT project onto users how they should use things but instead to
>>> give users control.  Author ideas of how to use stuff is not giving
>>> users control in my view.
>>>
>>> Charles (Myers) - the point ascribed to me as the need for a common
>>> data model in the other email - I'm afraid I haven't expressed
>>> myself
>>> clearly enough - my point was subtly different to what its reported
>>> as. My point was that we need a common data model yes, but we should
>>> use different fields for the physical access modes present and the
>>> author's view of how that resource "should be used".  For example,
>>> if
>>> we *do* decide to provide author-deteremined-usage info (which I
>>> don't
>>> support but ..) then using this same example of Liddy's the metadata

>>> accessMode = auditory
>>> accessMode = text
>>>
>>> accessModeUsage = visual + auditory
>>> accessModeUsage = visual