Re: SKOS and Freebase

On 22 October 2013 00:34, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:
> Thad, linking may be easier with FAST[1] than LCSH. LCSH is pre-coordinated,
> so it has strings like:
>
> Confucianism --China --Rituals.
>
> which won't match any topics outside of the library world. FAST has taken
> LCSH and broken the pre-coordinated topics into separate statements:
>
> Confucianism
> China
> Rituals
>
> FAST is available as linked data.

To what extent does FAST make explicit the relationships beween the pieces?

A Lonclass (pseudo-UDC) example that stuck in my head, tried to code
"Margaret Thatcher's letter of apology to TV-AM". You can imagine
using RDF and SKOS and well known entity IDs to modernize this to the
extend that you know a) we're talking about Margaret Thatcher, British
Conservative politician; b) TV-AM, UK media company,  and that is
quite useful even on its own; but the trickiest part is the
relationship. Who did the apologizing? Mrs Thatcher or TV-AM? This
issue seems to be the crossover point between SKOS in its current
form, which can present a pre-cooked bundle of concepts, and full RDF
which can at the cost of more work, explain their interconnection more
explicitly.

In full RDF, dealing with such situations case by case, we might e.g.
declare a subtype of http://schema.org/Action with 'apologist' and
'apologee' relations and a definition making clear which participant
is doing what. In W3C SKOS currently I believe the best we'd get is
the bundle of ["TV-AM", "Mrs Thatcher", "Apology, letter of"]. And
maybe that's fine for most purposes - I'm just curious how far the
FAST effort tries to make explicit the compositional structure. From
what I remember of UDC's notation it didn't really do as much as some
people wanted here...

Dan

ps. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonclass has the example,
"656.881:301.162.721:32.007THATCHER: 654.192.731TV-AM" supposedly
composed from these parts,

656.881:301.162.721 “LETTERS OF APOLOGY”
656.881 “LETTERS (POSTAL SERVICES)”
656.881:06.022.6 “RESIGNATION LETTERS”
654.192.731TV-AM “TV AM (TELEVISION AM)”

... though it doesn't formally afaik indicate who was the apologist

see also http://www.udcds.com/seminar/2011/media/slides/UDCSeminar2011_AndyHeather.pdf