Re: SKOS and Freebase

From: Tom Morris <tfmorris@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 15:05:25 -0400
To: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Cc: "<public-vocabs@w3.org>" <public-vocabs@w3.org>
On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl> wrote:

> I got messed up with my mail splitting: but I really want to flag that
> Thad's
>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/**Public/public-vocabs/2013Oct/**0142.html<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2013Oct/0142.html>
>>
> is really awesome.And seems a good case in favour of SKOS data, for all
> those who want to do something similar but can't handle the poliferation of
> namespaces.

One caution - that example isn't representative.  Of the 389,668 Library of
Congress Subject Heading (LCSH) concepts in Freebase, only 7,842 have been
linked to an equivalent Freebase topic.  Also the LCSH was  loaded in 2010
and, as far as I'm aware, hasn't been updated since.  I suspect the
hierarchy is relatively stable, but the lack of currency is something else
to be aware of.

It demonstrates interesting possibilities, but it isn't useful for much in
its current form.

Tom