Re: SKOS for schema.org proposal for discussion

On 9 October 2013 13:41, Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM, jean delahousse
> <delahousse.jean@gmail.com> wrote:
>> About use cases, a very simple one is the publication of a thesaurus, for
>> example FAO or Eurovoc in the web, with one page for each concept showing
>> its pref-label and alt-labels in various languages, definition,
>> exactMatch...
>
> Thanks for responding Jean. Can you describe why you would prefer to
> publish this structured data in your HTML using schema.org rather than
> using SKOS directly?

>From my pov the big value schema.org can bring is in the instance data
- connecting items of interest to the concepts described in SKOS. It
might be a nice extra for authority providers to use a bit of
schema.org in their sites, but RDFa+SKOS would be the most important
thing to advocate for. The schema.org story is mostly about having
lots of interesting properties that use those concepts. For that, it
is good to have a type within schema.org that makes the notion of
Concept explicit so that properties can be documented as expecting it.
Merely saying that a property expects an URL doesn't really cut it,
since most non-literal-valued properties can usefully take URLs...

Dan