Re: Schema.org Actions - an update and call for review

Just backtracking a little bit on my recursion tree here :) We've talked a
bit about point (2), but let me ask you a few more questions about point
(1).

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net
> wrote:

> On Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:39 PM, Sam Goto wrote:
> > + public-hydra, public-vocabsx
> >
> > That  (moving this thread to the lists) makes a lot of sense to me
> > Markus: adding public-hydra and public-vocabs to log our discussion.
>
> Thanks
>

> > Couple of questions:
> >
> > (1) How much benefit are you expecting from the flexibility of
> > supportedProperties? don't you think that that will eventually corner
> > yourself into a fragmented ecosystem of APIs (each having a different set
> > of supportedProperties?)?
>
> As always it depends I would say. Since the supportedProperties are bound
> a class, I don't expect too much fragmentation as I would expect that
> people
> simply reuse the class as a whole in most instance.
>
> As you know, in RDF there's generally no way to tell which properties apply
> to instances of a certain class since the right answer is normally "any"
> (rdf:domain doesn't restrict it). That's why I designed supportedProperties
> in the first place. It mimics the behavior most programmers are familiar
> with.

Right. We are running into a similar problem too. I'm having two
philosophical debates:

(I) is this a good idea? will it corner ourselves in the future?
(II) assuming this is a good idea, which constructs do we use to model it?

A few points on topic (I):

(a) will this cause API fragmentation?
(b) how do we deal with backwards compatibility ? e.g. once you published
an ApiDocumentation, and clients are using it, you can not add a
SupportedProperty that is *required* without breaking existing clients
prior to an API migration.
(c) how do you keep your clients in sync with your ApiDocumentation? When
you make "SupportedProperty requirements" changes to your ApiDocumentation,
how do clients become aware?

A few questions on point (II):

(a) have you looked into resource
shapes<http://events.linkeddata.org/ldow2013/papers/ldow2013-paper-02.pdf>
?
(b) have you considered SPARQL ASK queries?
(c) have you tried concepts from prototype languages?