Re: strange identifiers in schema.org

Hello Peter

I think you are rightly pointing to the implicit initial (and naive)
assumption of schema.org, which is that the whole world can be represented
under a single flat namespace at arbitrary level of granularity, with
natural language words as identifiers. Obviously, this does not scale and
hits quickly the wall of polysemy, as the Abdomen example perfectly
illustrates, and we are bound to have more of the same with the schema
growth (which is, remind you, potentially unbound, as evasive answers to
questions on limit of this growth have shown some months).
Keeping a single flat namespace needs CamelCase constructions, such as
http://schema.org/HomeAndConstructionBusiness, and the Abdomen example
could be disambiguated the same way e.g.,
http://schema.org/MedicalPhysicalExamAbdomen, leaving room to further
http://schema.org/PartOfBodyAbdomen etc.
This is an alternative to different namespaces such as your proposition,
but this solution seems proposed for extensions only.

Whatever the choice, I agree that it should
1. Avoid restricted definitions of potentially polysemic terms
2. Be based on a clear policy for namespace hierarchy of CamelCasing (so to
speak)

That said, and knowing enough of you to figure how you feel when looking
into them, other problems you point at (lack of documentation, semantic
glitches etc) will always be present in this scruffy-work-in-progress
called "Web semantics" (read : fuzzy, plural, inconsistent etc). I'm sure
you will ever ever fight it with all your will and strength given where you
come from, but I'm afraid this battle has been lost for quite a while now.
As Pat Hayes told me a while ago "My ivory tower has been seriously shaken
those days, waters of real world are slowly rising around us." Time to
learn swimming in troubled waters ...

Best regards

--

*Bernard Vatant*