From:   Dan Scott <dan@coffeecode.net>
To:     "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
Cc:     SchemaDot Org <public-vocabs@w3.org>
Date:   07/11/2013 05:52
Subject:        Re: strange identifiers in schema.org

On Nov 6, 2013 10:36 PM, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <
pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any guidelines for the construction of identifiers in
schema.org?

> The reason that I ask is that there are some rather strange identifers,
or at least some rather strange uses of identifiers.

> Consider, for example, the identifier Abdomen (http://schema.org/Abdomen
).  One might think that this refers to a part of the bodies of some
animals.   However, Abdomen is instead an instance of PhysicalExam, along
with Appearance, CardiovascularExam, Eye, Neuro, and VitalSign.

> It seems to me that this is very bad design, particularly if schema.org
identifiers are supposed to be used by people who might not have a
background in the representation of knowledge.
If your goal is to help improve schema.org, constructive criticism would
be much better than just a stream of criticism. As one of my colleagues
was fond of saying, "You found the problem, so you get to solve the
problem".
So please lend your intellect towards helping solve the problem. Given a
vocabulary with high rates of adoption, and the realization that some less
than optimal design decisions have been made, what action can you take or
recommend to address these problems?