Re: Proposal: Promote 'citation' property up to CreativeWork

On 5/14/13 10:50 PM, MORITA Mizuki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Karen has pointed out the difference between a citation and a
> reference. Is it right?

Morita - that's an interesting distinction, but I believe that
schema.org/citation does not make this distinction, and unfortunately
doesn't include an example that would clarify this. In its definition it
appears to be closer to what you refer to as a "reference":

citation  CreativeWork or Text  A citation or reference to another
creative work, such as another publication, web page, scholarly article,
etc. NOTE: Candidate for promotion to ScholarlyArticle.

So it is a work referred to from another work, and there is no further
definition. My assumption would be that the intra-text links, such as:

[2]
(Smith, 2013)

would not be terribly useful for markup. Instead,markup would be given
to the text that is presumably sufficient to actually identify the thing
being cited. This could be a simple string (as most cited works are today):

Library Catalogs." Information Outlook (July, 2000) 18-24.

The other option is that the citation could be coded as a
schema/CreativeWork. This would approximate your "reference", below,
using "citation" instead of "reference" as its itemprop.

I'm afraid that regular English usage doesn't have a clear separation
between "citation" and "reference": "He cited the article" "There is a
citation for the article" "This book has a reference to the article" --
it perhaps should be more clear, but it isn't. (As is the case for so
much of English usage -- sorry about that!)

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net