Re: Proposal: VisualArtwork

On 7 May 2013 23:43, Guha <guha@google.com> wrote:
> I agree. This is a good idea and a simple addition.
>
> If there aren't objections, we will include it in the next draft.

http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/VisualArtwork

Ok, I have transcribed from the Wiki page into a candidate RDFa+RDFS
config for schema.org. It is pretty straightforward. Note that
width/height/depth already exist; we are here just attaching another
expected type to the list of included domain types. And a reminder
that 'domain' and 'range' in schema.org are weaker than RDFS's domain
and range; we'll rename/alias them to rangeIncludes / domainIncludes
at some point to clarify this.

The draft lives in the W3C WebSchemas repository,
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webschema/file/default/schema.org/ext/visualartwork.html

Mercurial reminder, the 'raw' link shows you HTML,
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webschema/raw-file/default/schema.org/ext/visualartwork.html
... but for these files, the detail is best viewed in the raw HTML
source.

Feeding that URL to Ivan Herman's RDFa 1.1 distiller -
http://www.w3.org/2012/pyRdfa/ - gives the Turtle summary below; seems
readable.

A couple of points, by which as usual I mean at least 3:

(1.) I didn't see a short description for the type itself, so I
invented one - 'A work of art that is primarily visual in character.'
(2.) It would be good to find wording (and/or hierarchical) that
acknowledges that some visual arts can be tactile too; e.g. that blind
people can appreciate http://schema.org/Sculpture ... hence the
'primarily' here. Suggestions anyone? Would we say Sculpture is a
sub-type of VisualArtwork ?
(3.) I have omitted 'edition' for now, partly because it seems
something that ought to be handled for creative works, journals,
comics etc consistently; but mostly because I didn't quite understand
"For multiples such as prints, the number of copies in the edition"
(did someone mention
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_Requirements_for_Bibliographic_Records
?)
(4.) This transcription might not do complete justice to the various
points raised in the rest of this thread; but hopefully it helps firm
things up.

Dan

@prefix dc: <http://purl.org/dc/terms/> .
@prefix rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
@prefix schema: <http://schema.org/> .

schema:VisualArtwork a rdfs:Class;
    rdfs:label "VisualArtwork";
    dc:source <http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/SchemaDotOrgSources#source_VisualArtworkClass>;
    rdfs:comment "A work of art that is primarily visual in character.";
    rdfs:subClassOf schema:CreativeWork .

schema:artform a rdf:Property;
    rdfs:label "artform";
    schema:domain schema:VisualArtwork;
    schema:range schema:Text;
    rdfs:comment "e.g. Painting, Drawing, Scupture, Print, Photograph,
Assemblage, Collage, etc." .

schema:depth a rdf:Property;
    schema:domain schema:VisualArtwork .

schema:height a rdf:Property;
    schema:domain schema:VisualArtwork .

schema:materials a rdf:Property;
    rdfs:label "materials";
    schema:domain schema:VisualArtwork;
    schema:range schema:Text;
    rdfs:comment "e.g. Oil, Watercolour, Acrylic, Linoprint, Marble,
Cyanotype, Digital, Lithograph, DryPoint, Intaglio, Pastel, Woodcut,
Pencil, Mixed Media, etc." .

schema:surface a rdf:Property;
    rdfs:label "surface";
    schema:domain schema:VisualArtwork;
    schema:range schema:Text;
    rdfs:comment "e.g. Canvas, Paper, Wood, Board, etc." .

schema:width a rdf:Property;
    schema:domain schema:VisualArtwork .