Re: LocalBusinessDepartment proposal for schema.org.

From: Tom Morris <tfmorris@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 14:22:17 -0500
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>
Cc: W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:

> Here's a draft of a proposal for a LocalBusinessDepartment addition to
> schema.org. It is pretty small. Basic idea is that some larger 'local
> businesses' have a variety of named departments, which are worth
> describing as independent entities (e.g. opening hours etc.).
>
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/LocalBusinessDepartment
>
> The suggestion is for one new type, LocalBusinessDepartment, alongside
> a pair of properties (department / departmentOf) that associate a
> LocalBusinessDepartment with a LocalBusiness. For simplicity a
> LocalBusinessDepartment is also considered a LocalBusiness (thus
> inheriting all applicable properties, our primary goal).
>
> I'll try to flesh out with some full markup examples, but I hope this
> sketch is enough to get some discussion moving.

That seems like a useful addition, but I don't see how the U-Haul & USPS
example apply since any given location is typically relatively monolithic.
 I was assuming this would be something like an auto dealer where the Parts
department closes at 5 pm, Service might be open slightly later until 6 pm,
and Sales is open until 9 pm or whenever there's a remote chance that
someone will wander in with money.

Tom