Re: Offer in check-out?

A product detail page in a Web *shop* typically represents both a product (http://schema.org/Product) and an offer (http://schema.org/Product). This are two distinct entities and should both be described in the markup.

A product detail page on a manufacturer's site typically represents just a product model (in the sense of a datasheet). The core entity in here is http://schema.org/ProductModel.

Of course you can also mark up a shop cart page with a pattern that says something like "On this page, you can actually buy any product from our shop". But to my judgment, there will not be many client applications around that will do anything with such markup.

On Mar 4, 2013, at 12:20 PM, Gunnar Bittersmann wrote:

> Hi Martin,
> danke für die Antwort.
>
>> In short: GoodRelations and schema.org aim at supporting the *discovery* stage of purchases
>
> Hm, isn’t semantic mark-up about just describing the content with no regards to what will be done with that data at the moment?
>
> I.e. a product would be a schema.org/Product, no matter if it’s presented as an offer to a buyer of if it’s already in her basket.
>
> Search engines benefit from semantic mark-up, but isn’t that just one of many possible applications of semantic mark-up?
>
> Gunnar

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen