RE: Proposal: VisualArtwork

Since "color composition" is a visual metadata/attribute, I thought it would be more applicable to Visual Artwork and might not apply to the global Thing object (for eg: a Music recording does not need  a ColorPalette property). While it is true that external luminosity and reflection can affect perceived color of an artwork, I think it is still a lot of value to identify and express the original colors used by artist. For example, if we need to analyze all the dominant colors used by Van Gogh during a particular timeperiod, a ColorPalete property like this would be really helpful..This will also help in harmonizing multiple visual artworks based on a color scheme.

-Thanigai.

From: Paul Watson [mailto:lazarus@lazaruscorporation.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:00 AM
To: Thanigai Vellore; public-vocabs@w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposal: VisualArtwork

Rather than being specific to VisualArtwork I'd suggest you amend your proposal so that ColorPalette be a property of Thing to give the opportunity for people to describe the colours of things beyond visual artwork.

I can't see the ColorPalette property being used by museums, galleries, or artists, because the colours in any painting or piece of artwork vary depending on how light is falling on a picture/object, and the colour temperature of the ambient light - they're not inherent values of a piece of artwork (apart from in digital artwork). That said, I can see that there could be a use for this outside the realms of fine art.

Paul