Re: Scientific Measurements

Hello Alex

This is a frequent and sensible requirement. In the framework of LOV
project http://lov.okfn.org we try to provide tools and figure to assess
the use of vocabularies globally, and vocabulary elements in particular,
both by other vocabvularies (querying the 350+ vocabs aggregated in the LOV
cloud) and in the LOD cloud.
You can access those stats at http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/stats/.
(still work in progress). There is something to be corrected in the short
introduction. We have started a couple of weeks ago to extract stats using
the LOD2 stats source at http://stats.lod2.eu/, instead of a direct count
on the OpenLink LOD cache, which we had used before. Of course LOD2 is not
exhaustive, but it covers 2289 datasets to-date, so it's a good indicator.
Look down in the list to see the figure of your favourite class or property
:)

Those stats are used in the ranking algorithm of the LOV search Ghislain
mentioned before in this thread.

That said, this is a bootstrapping issue. Taking the popularity of a
vocabulary element to assess its quality is just one dimension. If you look
only at that, you fall into the search engine ranking trap (it's always
raining where it's already wet).
There are a lot of very well designed vocabularies which are not (yet) much
used simply because they are not visible enough. That's also by the way
another objective of the LOV project : give visibility.to those emerging
vocabularies to help their re-use.

Hope that helps

Bernard

2013/6/5 Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.com>

> I sure would like to see how these vocabularies are used in practice, out
> there, in the wild.
>

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM, William L. Anderson <band@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> And just to add to the soup there is Catalog QUDT: The QUDT, or
>> 'Quantity, Unit, Dimension and Type' collection of ontologies define base
>> classes, properties, and instances for modeling  physical quantities, units
>> of measure, and their dimensions in various measurement systems.
>>
>>   http://www.linkedmodel.org/catalog/qudt/1.1/index.html
>>
>> -Bill Anderson
>>

>> On Jun 5, 2013, at 12:35 PM, Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.com> wrote:
>>

>> > On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > But that Type stems from eCommerce & Trade ... but it's all primarily
>> based on UNECE codes... and those happen to have Measurements defined even
>> scientific ones if you dig deep enough in it.
>> >
>> > See the "master list" here:
>> http://www.unece.org/cefact/xml_schemas/index.html  and scroll down and
>> you will see the UNECE MeasurementUnit sections and others.
>> >

>> > BTW, poke me in eye with a red hot poker for making me read an XML
>> Schema to find a three letter code.  ;)
>> >
>> > Too bad they (or schema.org) doesn't have a flat list of the codes.
>> >

>> > --
>> > --Alex Milowski
>> > "The excellence of grammar as a guide is proportional to the paucity of
>> the
>> > inflexions, i.e. to the degree of analysis effected by the language
>> > considered."
>> >
>> > Bertrand Russell in a footnote of Principles of Mathematics
>>

> --
> --Alex Milowski
> "The excellence of grammar as a guide is proportional to the paucity of the
> inflexions, i.e. to the degree of analysis effected by the language
> considered."
>
> Bertrand Russell in a footnote of Principles of Mathematics

--
*Bernard Vatant
*

Mondeca is selected to present at ReInvent Law,
London<http://reinventlawlondon.com/> on
June 14th

Mondeca will be supporting its client's
presentation<http://semtechbizsf2013.semanticweb.com/sessionPop.cfm?confid=70&proposalid=5127>