Re: Scientific Measurements

Units of measurement are important for quality data, and IMHO the W3C
missed the opportunity to include a clean mechanism for units into RDF
or RDF Schema itself early on. As a result, vocabularies such as QUDT
were created by 3rd parties (my employer TopQuadrant in this case) and
RDF developers are still confused what to do.

Maybe schema.org can do a better job. Just some random input. With QUDT
some of the use patterns are to

- use the units as XSD datatype of the RDF literals (this would not work
with schema.org right now, because the datatypes there are a fixed
enumeration while in RDF this is open-ended).

- use "reified" objects that are pairs of a value plus another property
for the unit.

- attach the (default) unit to the property itself. This makes
computations based on those values easiest because no normalization
needs to be done, but obviously not everyone (e.g. in the US) would be
happy to convert everything into metric units and prefer to use units
such as feet.

A 4th option is used by schema.org in some places, allowing values to be
strings consisting of a number plus a unit's abbreviation, e.g. "10 ft".

I do believe that there is no harm (but many benefits) if the schema.org
properties would point to a default unit so that people just need to
enter a number as the property value. This could be part of a comment,
but better would be a property attached to the property itself. If
another unit than the default is needed then the string encoding (option
4) might be the most pragmatic approach. Engines that use schema.org
data could quite easily translate those values into proper, normalized
RDF literals before writing them into an RDF triple store. Ontologies
such as QUDT would be useful for such normalizations because they
already contain the unit abbreviations and their conversion factors in
(SPARQL-friendly) machine readable form. I had written up details on how
to achieve that with SPIN here

http://composing-the-semantic-web.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/units-ontology-with-spin-support.html

In general, I see the role of schema.org twofold: for collecting data
schema.org should make it easy for people to use, and therefore support
flexibility in how such values are encoded as strings. But for
processing and storing data, a normalized, strict version of schema.org
can be used.

HTH
Holger