Re: Vehicles, and customizable products

Hi Francois,

Looked through your slides.

Regarding reference of classes for configuration options.  I am thinking
that SKOS would be a way to handle this.  Freebase has some of those
classes that your referring to as well, and some are even sometimes linked
to a SKOS Concept already.  Like Diesel Fuel for instance...
https://www.freebase.com/m/0l0xy?props=&lang=en&filter=%2Fbase%2Fskosbase%2Fvocabulary_equivalent_topic&all=true

But your right, that there needs to be a domain specific vocabulary for
"Automobiles" in general.  Most of the work that you (Renault) and
Volkswagen have done, should really land in the form of better schema in
Schema.org for the sale, and maintenance of Automobiles.

The work just needs to be done.  That is, a Schema proposal for dealing
with the specific domain of "buying and selling car configurations" and the
maintenance of them.

I looked briefly at the "values", within one Spec you provide as output,
such as: http://uk.co.rplug.renault.com/speccats/BAv#var_PT1633

That Spec doesn't mean anything to me.

Can you point me to your value Spec of say "gasoline as the fuel type that
I want the engine to use" i.e. "Gasoline" such as this Freebase identifier
for the same value : https://www.freebase.com/m/05wy2

and "Hatchback" ? such as this Freebase identifier for the same value :
https://www.freebase.com/m/01cmcs

I would ideally love to see a "data dictionary" or "guide" for your Specs
so that others could help participate with you, and not have to deal with
Configuration UIDs from your API service endpoint.  I think just providing
the community with this data dictionary, would be extremely helpful to
coordinate efforts all around with folks.  Then a Schema proposal can then
begin to surface that classifies Configurator options for consumers /
buyers / dealers, etc. with the expected values used in the Automobile
industry.

(and I could certainly help to fillout the holes in Freebase for various
classifications and heirarchy where it's needed for this domain)

Thoughts ?

--
-Thad
Thad on Freebase.com <http://www.freebase.com/view/en/thad_guidry>