Re: Redefine and reuse?

On 7/23/13 2:58 PM, Thad Guidry wrote:
> Karen,
>
> Is it your wish or intent to have things bubble up into Schema.org
> quicker, perhaps even existing proposals and extensions, with the idea
> that they are "beta" or "in_proposal" ...rather than them living under
> the http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/.....
> <http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas> until they are "accepted" into
> Schema.org officially ?

No, I hadn't thought of that. I would be hesitant to suggest that anyone
use proposals until they've been accepted into schema.org. It might make
sense to have a "beta" capability for testing, however, although anyone
making use of a beta would need to know that things could change.

> One thing that could really help is on the main site landing page say
> and note :
>
> 1. We allow extensions and if you do not find what your looking for,
> then read our docs about Extending Schema.org at
> http://www.schema.org/docs/extension.html

I had understood that the extension mechanism has fallen into
dis-repair, of a sorts, and needs to be seriously revised. Dan Scott
posted very recently a request for more clarification on extensions. So
until then, perhaps it isn't a good idea to point people to it as a
solution?

The other aspect of extensions is what search engine services one might
expect from them. I'm curious if any live sites using the Product
Ontology can speak about their experience?

kc