Re: Proposal: Collection

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Wallis,Richard <Richard.Wallis@oclc.org>wrote:

>  Good idea referencing the DC Terms equivalents of these property names,
> indicating previous and parallel origins.

Great!

 Not so sure about explicitly saying that they're owl:equivalentProperty –
> would this not have the effect to constrain usage in Schema by definitions
> in DC. In this specific case I don't see an issue, but a principle that
> might cause problems later.

That is an important question. As you say, here there is no problem since
the DC terms are very broad (with e.g. no formal domain nor range). In fact
though, these Schema.org properties are probably rdfs:subPropertyOf the DC
terms, since in schema.org there will be both domain and range.

Of course, interlinking vocabularies does imply semantics. But as these are
defined and final, the social contract around them dictates that they
mustn't change. To some extent, the unwillingness to rely on this seems to
drive the reinvention of terms across vocabularies, every so often (again,
detrimental to integration). Some party should lead the way away from this
pattern. Given that schema.org is assimilating bits and pieces of other
vocabularies, I think structurally noting their origins is very valuable.
And if no property in RDFS/OWL is lax enough to avoid "semantic liability",
I'd say some schema-specific property for linking external properties, like
"closeMatch", or "isBasedOn", would be better than nothing.

Cheers,
Niklas